Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Tooth Fairy Strikes Again

My baby girl is growing up way too fast.

Now a kindergartener, she reads, writes, spells, does math, ties her shoes and so much more. Granted she could tie her shoes and read a little before kindergarten, but it all seems like so much more, especially with the end of the school year approaching.

She is also losing teeth. Lots of teeth. Last night she lost her 4th tooth in 5 months. I was pretty excited for her when she showed me that her 2 bottom teeth were starting to get loose back in December. A couple of her friends in 1st grade had lost some teeth and she was pretty excited about the tooth fairy.

Then a week later one of those teeth was suddenly was loose enough for me to pull out, so I pulled it. And she was thrilled. It didn't hurt and didn't bleed much which made it much easier on both of us.


We decided to make a pretty big deal about the toot fairy. Marly has her own fairy named Pixie and she left a note with her coins. (I need to find that note because I will do something similar when Bubba loses his first tooth.) And Pixie, the Tooth Fairy, left 2 "big coins" (half dollars) that were hit. We went with half dollars because I think that is what my parents left and it is easier to convince the kiddos to put them in the piggy bank instead of spending them because they are "special".

We weren't really ready for the tooth fairy to visit because I didn't think her tooth was that loose, but I managed to scrounge up a handful of half dollars by going through my old piggy bank that sits on Peanut's dresser.


Less than a month later, she was complaining about her other bottom tooth hurting and being lose and we just told her to leave it alone. Low and behold 2 nights later at dinner, she bit into her sandwich, got a funny look on her face, reached in her mouth and pulled out her own tooth. Again, it was all good because it didn't hurt and there was very little bleeding. The tooth fairy came again and left 2 more "big coins" that were put in the piggy bank.


Follow that up with a call I get from Hubby while I am on a work trip the first week of March. He tells me that Peanut has lost yet another tooth (#3 for those who have lost count) and it fell out at school.

Peanut gets on the phone and when I ask her about it, she tells me that she was swinging on the monkey bars with her library book in her both and the the book flew out of her mouth, taking her tooth with it. A little confused, I had to have her repeat the story again. I could not make this stuff up if I tried.

She found the tooth in the bark and took it to the school nurse who gave her a little treasure box to bring it home in. Her top two teeth were barely wiggly when I left for my trip and now she is missing one and the other is slightly wigglier and Peanut is 2 half dollars richer.


Then last night. When I picked the kiddos up from school, the first thing out of Peanut's mouth is that her loose tooth hurts. You would think by now that I would know that means it is ready too come out, but I had just checked it a night or two before and it was still pretty well in.

After we get home and settled, she started complaining about it again and I tell her I will check it after dinner. She continued to whine about it so I asked her if she wanted me to pull it out. She walked over, opened her mouth and I pulled it. I honestly didn't think it was going to come out, but sure enough, there it was in my fingers.

Peanut was thrilled and started dancing around. I told her to go rinse her mouth because this one surprised me with the bleeding.She rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and it wouldn't stop, so we held a wet paper towel on it until it quit. I was kind of bothered by how much it bled, but it didn't phase the kid one bit.



She had  a solid 1/4 inch gap between her front upper teeth to start with (which I loved), then she lost one tooth and now the other. She now has a VERY large gap in the front of her mouth which is going to make a few things a little harder. Like eating some foods and saying some words.

Her bottom two teeth have started coming in and I hope the top two come in, at least a little, before she loses any more.

1 comment:

  1. I love the big toofless grins!! They are my favorite!! She's adorable and I miss her face!!!

    ReplyDelete